Tuesday 11 March 2008

London

There are definitely more designers that are avant-garde in London than there are in New York, and it seems to me that the kind of style is more acceptible in London than it is here. I was looking at Central Saint Martins MA fashion show online and could see that the way they design is very conceptual and artistic. I admire and somewhat envy how they do it. I once designed a conceptual collection for my portfolio in Concepts class where I used "Tsunami in Sri Lanka" as an inspiration, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. But I was criticized about weariblity and practicality when presenting the finishes in class. Some classmates were saying that if I wanted to get a job in New York, stuff has to be what they're looking for, which is accordingly well merchandised, straight forward "everyday wear" with mix and matchable items. I mean I consider wearibility important too but sometimes I want to go crazy.

What intrigues me the most about London is its culture and history. When I think of London, I always think of the Guard Mounting ceremony at Buckingham Palace..and London Bridge..Maybe it's because of some images in some sort of history book that I saw when I was little. Unfortunately I've never been to the city but I'm sure I'd love it. I'd love to visit the Victoria and Albert Museum. Oh and I hear guys in London dress very nicely too.

No comments: