Wednesday 5 March 2008

About HJ Lee


My name is HJ Lee a.k.a. Hyun Joo Lee or Hyun-Joo Lee. I'm from Seoul,
 Korea and came to the U.S. when I was 15 as an exchange student. After
 the year of my exchange student program in California I decided to stay
in the U.S. to continue with my education and moved to Minnesota for 
boarding school.

 As a child I had serious training in music and always thought I'd become
 a pianist when I grow up, but it came to an end as I realized that I
 didn't have as much passion about me playing piano as other people 
around me did. After my quitting piano my mom thought that sending me 
abroad would help me broaden my point of view and open my mind to more 
great opportunities. The change at such a young age was harsh from time 
to time, and I had to find something I could enjoy doing that would help 
me forget about all the hardships that I was going through with the 
language barrier, cultural differences, and homesickness. Luckily there 
was art studio where I could draw, paint, or create whatever whenever I
 wanted. I've always loved being creative and been interested in clothes.
 So here I am. Though studying to be a fashion designer is one of the 
greatest choices that I've made, I feel this indescribable sadness deep 
inside towards my “failed dream” of becoming a successful pianist.

Choosing an inspiration for my thesis project, I wanted to work with
something that's personal, and I thought I should dedicate it to the 
dream I once had. It is very meaningful to me that I designed my 
collection inspired by Ludwig Van Beethoven not only because he's been 
my favorite composer in history, but also because I played one of his
 piano sonatas on the stage for my last recital.

I believe that creating fashion inspired by Beethoven accomplish the 
unachieved goal and prove that the quitting happened for a reason. The 
collection is to bring out the boldness as well as romantic notes that
 Beethoven has in his music, and it studies men's wear and architecture 
of his time period. It's not merely about making beautiful clothes but 
about turning my sorrow into joy.

No comments: