Sunday 13 April 2008

Bad News and More

So many things happened last week. My concepts teacher Morris, who had been struggling with cancer for one and a half years, passed away last Sunday morning. It made us sadder that we didn't even get a chance to say bye or to thank him. I've felt worse because I often argued with him in class forgetting about his sickness. He also made sure to encourage me when he noticed that I was depressed in the beginning of the semester. All these things make me feel so regretful that I could have been nicer to him. We were going to visit him after our presentations never knowing what was about to happen so soon. On Thursday there was a memorial service in a house in Jersey where he died, and one of my classmates and I went to attend it. We got to meet his sister, who looks exactly like him, his nieces, and many friends of his. After the service was over, we ran to the train station to catch the earliest train in order to be at school on time for our rehearsal. Thanks to my heels that got me blisters and hurt my feet even more as I was running down the hill. Luckily we got on the train, which arrived as soon as we got on the track.

We were late for the rehearsal and had to move to the other side of the auditorium and go on because of other classes using the spot. I thought it should have been easier for me to rehearse there than right on the spot where we actually present because of the lighting, but I got extremely nervous at my turn somehow. I'm worried because the actual presentation would be more nerve-wracking than the rehearsal.

So everything was due on Friday and we brought our clothes in the auditorium from 11am to 1pm. We had irons and steamers set up for us and put the clothes on the rack. People from Solstiss/Bucol were coming for the last time at 2pm to pick their winner for the competition. I don't exactly know who was there for the meeting but we students weren't allowed to be there. I got an email later that day with a title "Solstiss/Bucol Winner", and my heart began to pound. I opened the email and saw the other girl's name. It's disappointing that they must have thought that she deserved it more than I did but I know she also worked hard. I've been just telling myself that I was lucky to have the chance to use their beautiful fabrics.

I used all my print credit and almost all of my friend's to print pages for my look book. I printed 25 copies of the book and went to East Side Copier by our downtown campus for binding. The pages were printed with white space around the edges, which I did not want. I especially didn't like how the space on the bottom of the page is bigger than the others, but I had no choice.

I'm broke! I don't know how much I've spent for Thesis but I know it's a lot. Just to keep up the energy, I've been eating like a pig whenever I had a chance, and that costs. Nevertheless, I'm happy I did my best and got things this far. I didn't think I could do it.

No comments: